How we came to be
The International Opal Jewellery Design Awards Association (IOJDAA) is
a non profit organisation founded in 2000 as the Opal Jewellery Design Awards Association (OJDAA), to promote freeform and or undulating opal.
To showcase the stunning and innovative use of opal by jewellery designers around the world, the International Opal Jewellery Design Awards were launched back in 2001.
awards are biannual but they are held as part of the annual Lightning
Ridge Opal Festival which has become a highly recognised international
gem and jewelery show.
The jewellery design awards especially bring to life IOJDAA’s charter which is to:
• promote opal at a national and international level
• promote methods of opal cutting that conserve opal and add value to the opal industry
• increase market demand for freeform and or undulating opal.
• encourage jewellery designers to use freeform and or undulating opal in individual pieces of jewellery.
International Opal Jewellery Design Awards Association
IOJDAA organises the annual Opal Trade Show and other events as advertised annually.
• the biannual International Opal Jewellery Design Awards Competition
• the biannual International Opal Jewellery Design Awards Presentation Dinner
• Opal Carving classes and other workshops as advertised annually
The www.iojdaa.com.au website was created in July, 2007 and will continue to be maintained by IOJDAA to:
• showcase inspirational and unique handcrafted opal jewellery designs
• educate and engage jewellery designers, carvers, cutters and wholesalers around the innovative use of opals.
IOJDAA is dedicated to supporting the opal industry and Lightning Ridge
local community. IOJDAA has established a vocational opal training
program with the local Lightning Ridge High School to:
• provide relevant skills to local youth for opal cutting, carving and marketing
• support the future of the opal industry by addressing potential skills shortages.
IOJDAA Committee Members
President: Lyn Carney
Vice President: Annie Barclay
Secretary: Judy Greenfield
Treasurer: Karen Burns
Committee: Derek Brown, Bill Greenfield, Natasha Burns
Public Officer: Derek Brown
For further information please contact us.